If you are a Mac user, one of the troublesome thing you may suffer is that there are limited free Mac software. Especially when it comes to audio editing and recording software like the open source free music editor, Audacity for Mac. Audacity for Mac is the efficient free audio editing and recording applications for Mac users. Get the following description to get to know how to download and use Audacity for Mac and find its similar software to record or edit audio on Mac.
- Part 5. Replacements of Audacity for Mac
Part 1. How to download Audacity for Mac
Different version of Audacity for Mac has different function limitations. Version 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 of Audacity are not accessible for visually impaired users who use VoiceOver, and not suitable for OS X 10.5 either. But you can download the older 2.1.1-screen-reader version instead.
- Audacity X is one of the most used audio editors due to its multiplatform character. No matter if you use Linux, Windows or Mac, you can enjoy its features on any platform and it's totally free.
- Audacity 1.2.6a is a legacy version for Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (PPC) only. Audacity 1.0.0 is a legacy version for Mac OS 9 only. Audacity runs best with at least 1 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor (2 GB RAM/2 GHz on OS X 10.7 or later).
Audacity is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.6 and later and macOS, and macOS 10.12 Sierra is partially supported in 2.1.3.
Download Audacity 2.1.3 here:
A quick tutorial on how to download Audacity recording and editing software for Mac OSAudacity Download Link: https://www.audacityteam.org. Once downloaded, our readers can pull up their “Downloads” folder from the Mac OS X taskbar at the bottom of their screen. Click the Audacity.dmg file to begin installation. Here, our readers will want to copy the Audacity folder and paste the folder into the “Applications” folder (using Finder often helps).
Download Audacity 2.1.1 here (For OS X 10.5 Intel/PPC Mac, includes help files):
Download Audacity 2.1.1 here (For OS X 10.5 Intel/PPC Mac, not includes help files):
For downloading Audacity plug-ins and libraries, you need to go to http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/, to acquire the download link based on the different editing features.
Part 2. How to install Audacity on Mac
Step 1After downloading Audacity for Mac to your Mac, double-click the downloaded DMG it to mount it.
Step 2Drag Audacity.app icon in to the Applications folder icon on the right or other place.
Step 3Eject the DMG, and then launch Audacity.app from Applications or the place where you drag.
Part 3. How to use Audacity for Mac
You can get the simple tutorial in this part to use Audacity on a Mac.
Step 1Add file
Launch Audacity on Mac, go to 'File' > 'Open' to find the audio file on your Mac.
If you want to edit a CD music file, then you need to rip the CD to your Mac as MP3s.
If you want to edit the audio recording, then you just need to hit the record button and start to record the audio.
Step 2Edit audio file
For using its simple editing feature, you can click 'Edit' to select the editing options like Cut, Copy, Trim, Paste, Split, Duplicate, etc.
Step 3Effect audio
Audacity for Mac also provides you various audio effects for editing. Here you need to click 'Effect' to use Amplify, Change Pitch, Bass Boost, Change Tempo, Compressor, Echo, Equalization, Fade in, Fade out, Invert, Reverse, etc.
Step 4Export audio
After you editing the audio file on Mac, you could export the audio file. Audacity for Mac enables you to export the edited audio file as MP3, WAV and project for next editing.
The above description is the simple tutorial of using Audacity for Mac. You can follow the easy steps to use Audacity facilely.
Part 4. Review of Audacity for Mac
Audacity for Mac is the free audio editing and recording software for Mac users. Like any application, it has its advantages and disadvantages. Check the follow review of Audacity for Mac:
1. Audacity is loaded with audio editing, recording, and exporting tools that work in tandem with Mac's multimedia capabilities.
2. It supports importing and exporting various audio formats.
3. It lets you edit audio files like, cut, copy, trim, paste, split, etc.
4. You area able to use Audacity on Mac to add audio effects like Amplify, Change Pitch, Bass Boost, Change Tempo, Compressor, Echo, Equalization, Fade in, Fade out, Invert, Reverse, etc.
1. Interface is dated and sometimes clunky. In most cases this is purely aesthetic, but finding certain menus can be cumbersome in some circumstances.
2. Occasional crash reports from Mac OS X El Capitan users.
3. Creating large projects with Audacity may take some time and technical hitches.
Considering its limitations, you can find the Audacity for Mac similar software in the next part.
Part 5. Replacements of Audacity for Mac
Here you will find the best Audacity for Mac alternatives to record audio and edit audio.
Audacity for Mac alternative - Aiseesoft Free Audio EditorAiseesoft Free Audio Editor
- Aiseesoft Free Audio Editor is the free audio editing software that lets you edit audio file easily on Mac.
- Clip, merge, rename, adjust audio volume easily on Mac (macOS High Sierra included).
- Support over 200 audio formats like OGG, MP3, WMA, WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, M4R, M4A, etc.
- Convert audio formats and extract audio from video file for editing.
Audacity for Mac alternative - QuickTime Player
QuickTime is the free player created by Apple to play the video and audio file on Mac. It has the built-in audio recording features.
1. it is very to use to record audio file on Mac with Microphone and a Line-in from the 3.5mm jack.
2. You can choose your microphone and recording quality freely.
3. It supports simple editing feature to trim the audio file.
This post focuses on the issues about Audacity for Mac to download, use and get its similar software. If you need more Audacity app alternatives, then you can jump to audio editor.
What do you think of this post?
Rating: 4.8 / 5 (based on 120 ratings)
June 25, 2018 13:54 / Updated by Jenny Ryan to Audio
- Best Ways to Rip Audio from YouTube
For importing the online YouTube audio to Audacity, you should rip the audio file from YouTube in this page.
- Audio Managers to Get HD Quality and Edit Audio Files
Audacity lets you edit and record audio file, here you are able to use the audio manager to manage audio file.
- Audio Booster: Boost Your Audio File
Want to increase MP3 volume when you watch the video? This article introduces the best audio booster to help you boot audio.
Audacity Mac Os X 10.6.8
Audacity Mac Os X 10.4.11
Record audio, edit tracks, and export the results to the desired file format. Work with common or special file types such as MP3, WAV, or AIFF. Gain control over multiple input and output device while displaying the audio level meters. Apply basic editing tools.
Audacity 3.0 for Mac is available as a free download on our software library. The most popular versions of the program are 2.0 and 1.3. Some of the program aliases include 'Audacity PPC', 'Audacity Intel'. This free Mac app is a product of Audacity team.
The program lies within Audio & Video Tools, more precisely Editors & Converters. This app's bundle is identified as net.sourceforge.audacity. Our built-in antivirus scanned this Mac download and rated it as 100% safe. Audacity-macosx-ub-2.0.4.dmg, audacity-macosx-ub-2.0.5.dmg and audacity-macosx-ub-2.0.6.dmg are the most common filenames for this program's installer.
From the developer:
Audacity Mac Os X
Audacity is free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.
Audacity Mac Os X Download
You may want to check out more Mac applications, such as The Levelator, which might be similar to Audacity.